Yarema Rudyk: «Industrial potential of Kalush should be used for the benefit of the community»
To the meeting with General Director Deputy of «KARPATNAFTOCHIM» Ltd, Yarema Rudyk I was incited both by the issues of activity of the greatest industrial enterprise of Precarpathian in such not simple economical conditions, caused by coronavirus infection, and by election campaign, in which he is a direct participant.
But our conversation first of all started from the activity of enterprise. Hence three years have already passed by, since the time of its activity renewal after prolonged, almost five years downtime …
– Results are not bad. If we speak about production, we are working stable and produce in average over 60 thousands tons of ready products per month. And the most important fact is that it does not stay in storehouses, but is sold and has a good demand among consumers of our country and abroad.
At the same time this period of work indicated that there are still the numbers of problems, and if they not be solved, it will be difficult for the Company to move forwards. This is namely: renovation and updating of plants. And it is actual, in spite that for these needs, was directed more than 1,3 billions UAH for the last three years. But, so to say, life does not stand still, that is why we should further develop our activity, paying the efforts for more extensive processing of our products, producing such products which are currently marketable. In other case in a few years the enterprise will be non-competitive and could terminate its economic activity.
And in order not to permit this, at «KARPATNAFTOCHIM» Ltd., was already realized project of Oxide Propylene Unit construction and at present are made the activities of engineering for 1.3 Butadiene Production Unit. Like in the first as well as in the second projects, the main feedstock for both units will be products from Ethylene production facility.
The Management of the enterprise and its Supervisory Council also examine the issue of alternative power source construction, considering technical condition of Kalush power station.
– What is a current contribution of «KARPATNAFTOCHIM» Ltd. to the budget of town and how much its activity was effected by epidemic COVID-19?
– We are currently budget-forming enterprise, because a part from our tax revenues and from our payment to the city treasury is more than 25 percents. But the amount of our payments for the land (its lease and land tax) is 60 percent in citywide rate. And here arises a logical question: why are these amounts so low from other enterprises?
What concerns our preparatory measures for the activity in the conditions of coronavirus infection spreading is the fact that we strictly fulfill government decisions regarding these measures and cooperate with management of region and our municipal council. And today «KARPATNAFTOCHIM» is among these strategic enterprises of Ukraine, which are allowed to work at full capacity in the conditions of quarantine.
At the same time in order to prevent the infection spreading we provide our employees with protective masks, and divisions with disinfecting agents, by means of which we constantly treat the industrial, production and administrative buildings.
And it’s well-known, that we have for these measures the disinfecting agent of our own production – sodium hypochlorite. There was time when this agent had a great demand among medical institutions, utility enterprises and industrial companies. We were giving this agent gratis. I don’t know why today there is not such great demand for this product, though at our enterprise we constantly disinfect our premises and buildings. Maybe due to this and thanks to other quarantine measures within the whole time of pandemic we did not observe great sources and outbreak of disease on COVID-19.
– Is the enterprise able to secure medical institutions with medical oxygen, whose deficiency is sharply felt in Ukraine?
– We produced this product constantly. Recently we have also received the license for its output, because without it we were not allowed to supply this product. Moreover, according to the existing regulations, it should be registered like medical agent. So at the time being is going the process of registration. However it’s not so simple. With the aim of all requirements fulfillment we employed to our staff a pharmaceutical chemist, gave analyses of our products, required information about the equipment, where it has been produced, etc. In total in accordance with methodical recommendations the registration process lasts till 120 calendar days. So we hope that this process will be positively completed and our enterprise will be able to provide hospitals and our institutions of our region and Ukraine with this really deficient medical agent. I’d like to inform that for medical institutions of Ivano-Frankivsk region oxygen will be supplied free of charge.
– We know that the enterprise previously also did not stay aside from the problems appeared due to coronavirus infection.
– Yes, it’s really so. We supplied gratis to medical institutions of town personal protective equipment and disinfecting agents. And now we are at the stage of issue solution about procurement of the module cryogenic unit for storage and gasification of liquid oxygen for our Kalush Central Hospital. The value of this unit is about one million UAH. It has already been delivered to Ukraine and next week will be in Kalush.
– The topic of future elections to municipal council could not be ignored. You are a candidate from party «Sluha Narody» to regional council. Why did you decide to be put to the vote?
– I have never thought about this before and did not strive for being a deputy. But now while working at a huge industrial enterprise I often encounter with such issues which are to be solved on regional level, where is necessary to express position consistently. And the tribune of regional council is the place where you will be heard and understood.
And from the other side, I think while having a great experience in bank sphere, in economic institutions, and now being on the position of General Director Deputy of the Company, why not to transfer this experience and practical knowledge to young energetic people. I always liked them; I see in them the future both for business and for our Ukraine. They have wish, enthusiasm to job and to implementation of new ideas. But often they are lack of knowledge about realities of life, and that is why in each team, namely in Elected Body (Council) must exist balance. Some people should move forward, and some should analyze the situation and potential risks, and as the result it will be to the benefit of team or community.
– What for your opinion is necessary to be done extraordinarily in Precarpathian?
– Currently all candidates promise so much that, probably, even 100-annual budget will not be enough to perform everything. But nobody tells for which account it will be done. All hope for budget, but it is not dimensionless can not «pull» everything. We also should not forget that from the first of January we will live in the conditions of decentralization, when a significant amount of money will be transferred to united territorial communities that will form their budgets and will decide how to fill them and where the actual assets should be directed.
There was such situation, when Kalush and villages of the region were financed pursuant to residual principle. The town became to lose the positions of an industrial center of Precarpathian. There is still the potential and it should be used for the benefits of community. In a long time in regional council there were absent the deputies-business executives from Kalush, who could defend the economic interests of the region. The roads were built in the region, but as the rule they all were leading to Bukovel. I personally don’t mind against the development of tourism industry, because having such mountains and such possibilities, certainly, this tourism industry should be developed. But we can’t forget about these regions, which most of all fill the budget, where industrial facilities work. If they stop their activity, there will not be the gross domestic product (GDP).
And in Kalush, definitely, the potential for development exists. However today actually are not used the chances connected with the activity of «KARPATNAFTOCHIM». At the Units of our enterprise are produced the products, namely polymers, which could be processed into final products. But currently, for some reason or other, there are not such plants, though for this, besides feedstock there are necessary engineering communications, land plots, railway connection, etc.
In the light of above-mentioned, I’d like to stress, that Kalush and its community have all capabilities for better life, but the sake of this is necessary first of all to choose worthy representatives both to local and to regional councils.
Was recorded by Anatoly Getmanchuk.